Wicked Pear and Brandy Sauce - perfect with veal or pork
This pear and brandy sauce is a delicious alternative to gravy with roast pork or veal.
Serves 6-8 people
2 Celery sticks
1 bunch Parlsey
1 Small tin green peppercorns
750 ml Beef stock
Quarter cup of brandy
- Melt 50g butter in heavy saucepan and slowly saute onion, celery, tomato, carrot, handful of parsley and tinned green peppercorns until tender.
- Add pears quartered, not peeled (but take the seeds out), 750 ml beef stock and reduce by a third.
- Add 300ml of cream and 1/4 cup of brandy and reduce again to about 1-2 cups.
- Push the sauce through a sieve with as much goo as possible to give texture to the sauce. Add juices from roast veal or pork at the end.
- Warm and spoon onto meat like gravy.
Tip: any extra sauce will freeze very well for next time if you don’t need it all; just defrost it in the microwave next time.