Italian Butterflied BBQ Lamb Shoulder
This is a great casual Sunday lunch or midweek family dinner option as it's fairly quick and very yummy.
Prep & cooking time 1 hour 10 minutes
1 x 2kg Deboned Lamb Shoulder
120 ml olive oil
120 ml of red wine
3 gloves of garlic
Tablespoon of dried rosemary
Tablespoon of dried oregano
Cut the netting off the boned-out shoulder and spread the meat out in one layer. Cut any thick areas almost in half (leave attached and butterfly) so the whole piece is a similar thickness. Marinate in 120 ml olive oil, 120 ml of red wine, 3 gloves of crushed garlic and tablespoons each of dried rosemary and dried oregano overnight. Turn once in the morning. Remove the meat from the fridge 20 minutes before cooking.
Tip: If frozen, as always, defrost in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking – never in the microwave or it will go very tough.
Ways to Cook:
- Heat BBQ to moderately high heat for 15 minutes then turn down to medium heat.
- Cook lamb for 5-6 minutes skin side down on the grill side, then turn over to sear other side as well. Watch out as the oil will flare up; if it gets too much fire transfer to the plate side.
- Reduce heat under lamb to low (leave other side of BBQ on high) and cook for 30-40 minutes with the lid down. If no lid, cover the meat with foil or inverted baking tray, or place in oven at 180 degrees.
- Remove from heat and rest meat on a plate under foil for 10 minutes before carving down on an angle.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Sear lamb in baking tray or frying pan for 5 minutes each side (it will spit!).
- Cook lamb for 30-40 minutes in oven.
- Remove from heat and rest meat under foil for 10 mins before carving down on an angle.